Friday, November 11, 2011

Teaching Few and Little

Teaching Few and Little.
Form
(a) few + plural countable noun
(a) little + uncountable noun
Functions and examples
'a' few and 'a' little mean a small quantity or a small number.
Without 'a' there is often a negative meaning.
I have a few friends. (a small number, but I am happy)
I have few friends. (a small number, and I wish I had more)
I have a little money. (a small amount, but I am happy)
I have little money. (a small amount, and I wish I had more)
Few and little without 'a' are quite formal.
In spoken English, it is more common to say 'only a few / little' or 'not much / many'.
Only a few people came to the meeting.
Not many people came to the meeting.
Few people came to the meeting. (more formal)
If we use 'a' few or 'a' little before a pronoun or determiner, we use of.
A few of them went to the cinema.
He only kept a little of his money with him.
Read more at http://www.eslbase.com/grammar/few-little
http://www.languagecorpsasia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment